[CentOS] Acer 5920 audio chip does not work in CentOS 5.2?

Alex White ethericalzen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 12:57:33 UTC 2008

William L. Maltby wrote:
>> Thank you both Bill and Alex.
>
> NP.

We're happy to try to help. I have a friend with your model of
laptop, I'll see if I can sucker him into letting me futz around
with it for a day or two. I'll report back!

> I'm thinking now, we have garnered enough new information that an
> assault on google might yield results. I suggest you give it a try.
>
> I decided to investigate proc. I don't know if that might be
> fruitful, ... BRB
>
> Well, all directories or empty files all the way down the tree. No joy
> in mudville.

Not entirely sure what one would glean from /proc other than that
the card is present and drivers are loaded for it. There's lengthy
output for my sound device. I won't paste all of it, but everything
is located in /proc/asound. My device is also listed under
/proc/devices as one would expect.

I don't muck in /proc very often other than for testing network
setups and obtaining cpu and memory information, so the output for
my soundcard means next to nothing to me other than I know the
correct driver is loaded.

[prata at crane asound]$ ls
card0  cards  devices  modules  oss  pcm  seq  timers  V8237  version

[prata at crane asound]$ pwd && cat modules && cat cards
/proc/asound
  0 snd_via82xx
  0 [V8237          ]: VIA8237 - VIA 8237
                       VIA 8237 with ALC850 at 0xe800, irq 209

Given that your machine is reporting the device as present (despite
not getting any sound) I am under the impression anything you get
out of proc would be correct as well. Just to through more confusion
on the issue. ^_^

> Last idea, if no one else from here chimes in. Do a google (again) and
> try the alsa or other Linux lists.

I don't know why I never googled around on the Alsa lists. That was
stupid of me. Opensuse has some forums with this problem as well. I
didn't see a fix, but I didn't spend too much time looking there. If
there is a fix, maybe they have an srpm that could be massaged into
working in CentOS?

If you do find a solution elsewhere I'd really appreciate a link or
something just for my own knowledge down the road.

Sincerely,

Alex White

ethericalzen at gmail.com
Life is a prison, death is a release