[CentOS] Three Identical systems - short cut to setting up the drives?

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Jul 4 01:11:55 UTC 2008

I am building three identical systems.  Well they will have different
host names, and with time the software setups will drift.  But at
install time they are identical.

Is there some way, (with dd I might guess) to do a hardare level copy?

All three drives are Hitachi DK23DA-40F (40Gb).  Supposedly factory
reconditioned (they are in sealed bags with a drive sticker stating:
"Refurbished to Hitachi Global Storage Technologies Specifications").

I would want to copy the paritition table and my 3 partitions (/boot,
swap, LVM (/ and /home ext3 partitions in the LVM)) and all their contents.

Thing is I only have one USB drive enclosure so I would be running from
the drive I want to copy from.

I would hope this is faster than 2 more installs.