[CentOS] Can't run a bash script from USB drive

Spiro Harvey, Knossos Networks Ltd spiro at knossos.net.nz
Fri Jul 4 02:30:27 UTC 2008

> How can I control this (i.e., allow 'exec' on my USB drive(s))?

either:

mount /media/usb -o remount,exec

or more preferable, add exec into the /etc/fstab entry for your usb
drive (you might have to create one). It'll look something like:

/media/usb  /dev/sdb1              vfat    exec,user        0 0

/media/usb is the point you will mount to, and /dev/sdb1 is the actual
usb device. vfat is the filesystem type, and may be something else if
you've formatted the stick; but if it's an actual hard drive, it could
be something like ntfs. "man fstab" has a list of all the filesystems.

"user" will let non-root mount it.

--
Spiro Harvey                  Knossos Networks Ltd
021-295-1923                    www.knossos.net.nz