[CentOS] Acer 5920 audio chip does not work in CentOS 5.2?

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Fri Jul 4 10:10:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 12:41 +1000, hce wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 12:18 AM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 07:57 -0500, Alex White wrote:
> >> <snip>
> >
> >><snip>

> > /proc delivers the *truth*. And for some things, settings can be changed
> > there that are not easily addressed through utilities.
> > After this, I'll pop in Mark Knoppfler's "Shangri-La" and diff the two
> > files.
> > # cd /proc/asound
> > # find . -type f -exec echo {} \; -exec cat {} \; >/tmp/asound
>
> I guess alsa and /proc are all fine on my machine, but I've got a
> blank result on /proc/asound running following find, no sure if that
> was significant:

Blank result? I'm skeptical about that. <*scratching head*>

> [asound]$ find . -type f -exec echo {} \; -exec cat {} \; > /tmp/asound

The /tmp/asound file should contain at least the file names that it
found. And I can't believe that trying to play something would remove
the contents of those files. 1) It would have to be root and 2) IIRC, we
can't remove stuff in /proc as it is from the kernel and not a real file
system and 3) We could only change the contents of *some* things.

I tested the above command with a C&P and it worked. Maybe you had a
typo or the frustration is getting to you and you examined the wrong
file?

> $ rpm -qa | grep -i alsaalsa-utils-1.0.14-3.rc4.el5
> alsa-lib-devel-1.0.14-1.rc4.el5
> alsa-lib-1.0.14-1.rc4.el5
>
> ]$ rpm --verify  alsa-lib-1.0.14-1.rc4.el5.i386
> alsa-utils-1.0.14-3.rc4.el5.i386 | echo $?
> 0

The above command s/b rpm --verify .... ; echo $?
----------------------------------------|

If you meant "||", it would still be logically incorrect as we want to
see the return value, regardless.

> [asound]$ ls
> card0  cards  devices  Intel  modules  oss  pcm  seq  timers  version
>
> [asound]$ pwd && cat modules && cat cards /proc/asound
>  0 snd_hda_intel
>  0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
>                       HDA Intel at 0xf0500000 irq 66
>

> I've also tried to ls in /proc/asound/Intel:
>
> $ ls
> codec#0  codec#1  id  oss_mixer  pcm0c  pcm0p  pcm2c
>
> Seems, all drivers there, is there any command such as cat to verify
> low level drivers by playing a sound?

You need an application to do that. I've only used various Gnome desktop
facilities. The file manager (Nautilus?) should do that when you double
click a sound file. I'll test ... BRB

Yep. I went to /usr/share/sounds/alsa, using file manager, and it opened
totem and played the sounds. This means that you could open totem
directly, or any other sound playing application and try it.
Unfortunately, unless we suspect broken applications are the problem,
this really only is the same as what you tried to do originally, less
the CD.

--
Bill