FW: [CentOS] Problem with nvidia-drv-x11 when upgrading to CentOS 5.2 (Akemi)

John

jses27 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 06:59:17 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of Akemi Yagi
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 10:47 AM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Problem with nvidia-drv-x11 when upgrading to CentOS
5.2

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 7:29 AM, John <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, for DKMS users it should auto recompile on Kernel Upgrade. For
> users of the Proprietary Nvidia Driver it will not. You will have to
> manually recompile it.

I have not done this for a while but you can automate the installation of
the proprietary Nvidia driver by providing appropriate flags.  The following
command worked when I tested:

sh ./NVIDIAxxxxx.run  -a -q -N --ui=none

Others posted this:

sh ./NVIDIAxxxxx.run --no-network -s -K -n

Once you find the way to get the installalation working without human
intervention, you can put it in a place like /etc/rc.local :

if [ ! -e /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko ]; then
    echo "Installing the proprietary NVIDIA driver."
    /full/path/to/ NVIDIAxxxxx.run --no-network -s -K -n fi

This will compile and install the driver each time the kernel is updated.

Akemi