[CentOS] Three Identical systems - short cut to setting up the drives?

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 15:04:34 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 6:36 AM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
>> > If it's a boot drive, remember to rebuild your initrd and modify the
>> > init file to ignore lvm lock failures with the new VG name. Otherwise
>> > you'll be fighting some more battles.
>>
>> Yes, I remember getting burned by this once.
>
> Man gzip and cpio in case I misremember.

To set the "ignorelockingfailure" and others on the initrd file, can't
you just use "mkinitrd"? I was looking into the /sbin/mkinitrd script
(on CentOS 5.2), and I saw that it contains code for that, for
instance:

if [ -n "$vg_list" ]; then
    emit "echo Scanning logical volumes"
    emit "lvm vgscan --ignorelockingfailure"
    emit "echo Activating logical volumes"
    emit "lvm vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure $vg_list"
fi

I just don't know if vg_list will be populated with the right devices.
Anyway, it might be worth a try, specially if you want to do that over
and over again, messing with the internals of initrd (gzip, cpio,
etc., and specially rebuilding it) is not something you would want to
do on a daily basis.

HTH,
Filipe