[CentOS] ANSWER: Couple of CentOS 5.2 dhcp notes

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Mon Jul 7 01:20:01 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-06 at 15:57 -0700, Ian Forde wrote:
> 1. Apparently, since I updated from 5.1 to 5.2, dhcpd no longer wants to
> stay running.  The config is sound, and I can start it from the
> command-line with the "-d" flag and it serves up leases.  But without
> the -d flag, it just silently dies...

Well, *that* sucked.  I had to start the daemon with a '-p 67' option to
get it to stick.  So I stuck that into /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd as:

DHCPDARGS="-p 67"

and it started.  Which led me down the "strace with and without the -p
option and compare the output" path...

Turns out that without the -p option, it looks up the port number to
use.  nsswitch.conf in my case had "services: files ldap", which caused
it to fail.  I changed it to "services: files" and it worked.  What
kills me is that dhcpd died silently... and I have absolutely no desire
to put services into my ldap directory...

So I've taken out the -p argument, and all is well...

Thanks for the assist though!

	-I