[CentOS] Acer 5920 audio chip does not work in CentOS 5.2?

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Mon Jul 7 09:50:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 11:48 +1000, hce wrote:
> On 7/4/08, William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> >  On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 12:41 +1000, hce wrote:
> >  > On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 12:18 AM, William L. Maltby
> >  > <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> >  > ><snip>

> >  > > After this, I'll pop in Mark Knoppfler's "Shangri-La" and diff the two
> >  > > files.
> >  > > # cd /proc/asound
> >  > > # find . -type f -exec echo {} \; -exec cat {} \; >/tmp/asound
> >  >
> >  > I guess alsa and /proc are all fine on my machine, but I've got a
> >  > blank result on /proc/asound running following find, no sure if that
> >  > was significant:

If all files below /proc/asound are empty after trying to play a sound
are empty, things can't be alright and that is significant. What it
implies, I haven't a clue.

> > Blank result? I'm skeptical about that. <*scratching head*>
> >
> >  >
> >  > [asound]$ find . -type f -exec echo {} \; -exec cat {} \; > /tmp/asound
> >

> > The /tmp/asound file should contain at least the file names that it

s/file/files found under asound and its sub-dirs/

> >  found. And I can't believe that trying to play something would remove
> >  the contents of those files. 1) It would have to be root and 2) IIRC, we
> >  can't remove stuff in /proc as it is from the kernel and not a real file
> >  system and 3) We could only change the contents of *some* things.
> >
> >  I tested the above command with a C&P and it worked. Maybe you had a
> >  typo or the frustration is getting to you and you examined the wrong
> >  file?
>
> I used above command with a C&P as well. I've also verified the
> command to my another FC7 box which has sound worked well, it also
> shown a blank result as well.

That puts me at a total loss. If every file below the /proc/asound tree
is empty after trying to play a file/CD is empty, then all the driver
modules would be gone. Then an lsmod should show no drivers loaded. If
drivers appear in lsmod, some files under asound and its sub-directories
have to be non-empty.

Remember that an ls -lR /proc/asound will show 0-length files even
though there is something in those files. If you depended on ls to
determine if a file was empty, that's a mistake.

> >  > $ rpm -qa | grep -i alsaalsa-utils-1.0.14-3.rc4.el5
> >  > alsa-lib-devel-1.0.14-1.rc4.el5
> >  > alsa-lib-1.0.14-1.rc4.el5
> >  >
> >  > ]$ rpm --verify  alsa-lib-1.0.14-1.rc4.el5.i386
> >  > alsa-utils-1.0.14-3.rc4.el5.i386 | echo $?
> >  > 0
> >

> > The above command s/b rpm --verify .... ; echo $?
> >  ----------------------------------------|
> >
> >  If you meant "||", it would still be logically incorrect as we want to
> >  see the return value, regardless.
>
> Actually, I tried without echo $? first, it display lots of
> parameters, seems file. I can try the echo $? again, what is the
> correct command for it? Is following command correct?
>
> rpm --verify  alsa-lib-1.0.14-1.rc4.el5.i386
> lsa-utils-1.0.14-3.rc4.el5.i386; echo $?

If that is all on one line or the first line ends with a " \", yes. But
the form with "-v --verify" is useful too. It will let you know if
something is scrogged. The man page for rpm will tell the meaning of the
output. If you put a redirect to a temporary file, you can look at the
results. Something like this

   rpm -v --verify ... ... >/tmp/rpm.lst; echo $?

> >  >
> >  > [asound]$ ls
> >  > card0  cards  devices  Intel  modules  oss  pcm  seq  timers  version
> >  >
> >  > [asound]$ pwd && cat modules && cat cards /proc/asound
> >  >  0 snd_hda_intel
> >  >  0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
> >  >                       HDA Intel at 0xf0500000 irq 66
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > I've also tried to ls in /proc/asound/Intel:
> >  >
> >  > $ ls
> >  > codec#0  codec#1  id  oss_mixer  pcm0c  pcm0p  pcm2c
> >  >
> >  > Seems, all drivers there, is there any command such as cat to verify
> >  > low level drivers by playing a sound?
> >

> > You need an application to do that. I've only used various Gnome desktop
> >  facilities. The file manager (Nautilus?) should do that when you double
> >  click a sound file. I'll test ... BRB
> >
> >  Yep. I went to /usr/share/sounds/alsa, using file manager, and it opened
> >  totem and played the sounds. This means that you could open totem
> >  directly, or any other sound playing application and try it.
> >  Unfortunately, unless we suspect broken applications are the problem,
> >  this really only is the same as what you tried to do originally, less
> >  the CD.
>
> I can use vlc to play the *.wav or other audio files, but I tried to
> figure out where is the block or missing link with the audio. Right
> now, no sound when I run vlc to play audio files. If I could check and
> play in some means with low level driver first, I guess I could find
> if the problem is high level applications or low lever drivers. Seems
> that the drivers all there, but don't know if them are working or not.

ISTR that long ago there were CLI sound/CD players. I don't know if
there are any left. I suggest a Google.

--
Bill