[CentOS] Drive activity every 30sec

Hakan Koseoglu hakan.koseoglu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 10:12:53 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 July 2008 00:51:59 Florin Andrei wrote:
>> Bottom line: disable atime on all systems unless you _really_ need to do
>> disk forensics. You will see a performance improvement in almost every
>> scenario.
>
> I'd like to try this on this laptop. How do you do it?
Put noatime in the options bit on the fstab and that should do the
trick. For details, see "man 8 mount".
You can have noatime, nodiratime (I am not sue if this is covered with
the first option, really).

The "defaults" key word usually maps to: rw, suid,
dev,exec,auto,nouser,async

On top of that atime is also is used as a default.

Once you remount your partition, mount should report like:
/dev/sda1 on /data8 type ext3 (rw,noatime)

Works here. :)