[CentOS] Re: pm-utils - ATrpms updates a system package on the stable branch

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jul 8 18:42:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 11:33:24AM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>
>> Client filtering is not recommended by some people ... but highly
>> recommended by others :-D
>
> It's a good idea on important systems - but then you shouldn't open
> those machines to outside repositories anyway.
>
> But if you don't do client-side filtering, you're helping the
> repositories to fix their problems and become cleaner. Everyone benefits
> in the long run.
>
> There is no "one true answer to rule them all" in this case. Use
> client-side filtering on the machines that must not break under any
> circumstances. Relax the policy in the other cases. Use common sense.

Just to present an example from Fedora: clamav within Fedora was and
is considered rather cumbersome packaged and many users turn to 3rd
party repos to get clamav installed.

If you place a filtering upon them, then some clamav subpackages will
come from the 3rd party repo and some from Fedora base leading to a
system that will possibly allow viruses to pass by. So actually the
filtering will be destabilizing your setup instead of protecting them.

The true answer to this is cooperating/merged repos and we're
targeting this on rpmrepo.org. Join up and be part of the solution :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net