[CentOS] Flaky desktop audio behavior.

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Jul 9 17:17:54 UTC 2008

William L. Maltby wrote:

> That returned nothing. So I ran it w/o the dsp and manually extracted
> anything interesting. Got just these, which look normal.

How about lsof | grep /dev/snd

I'm used to using OSS, which usually means /dev/dsp, it seems that ALSA
uses /dev/snd(or maybe another device..). I had a similar issue last
night where the flash plugin in firefox prevented Cedega from being
able to spit out sound and found it was using a device in /dev/snd, once
I stopped the flash plugin I got sound back(and even with the sound
device in use, XMMS was able to play sound no problem and it is configured
to use ALSA, as is Cedega).

Worst case just run lsof | grep /dev that's how I found the issue
last night, I wasn't sure what /dev device was in use.

> mixer_app 10922 hardtolove    2u      CHR        1,3
> 1604 /dev/null
> escd      10926 hardtolove    0r      CHR        1,3
> 1604 /dev/null

These reference /dev/null which isn't related.

nate