[CentOS] can I use CentOS as a antivirus / spam filter / HTTP AV gateway?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Thu Jul 10 10:23:44 UTC 2008

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I've been thinking about using CentOS on a Dell R200 server and turn
>> it into a firewall / network monitor / traffic shaper in our
>> datacentre, instead of using a dedicated firewall device.
>>
>> One of the devices that I have been looking at, with my limited
>> budget, is the D-Link DFL 860 -
>> http://www.netdefend.eu/Product.aspx?m=15&ref=DFL-860
>>
>> It provides AV, SPI, VPN, DOS, P2P, etc protection. Most of this can
>> be done with Linux as well, but I'm not 100% sure about the AV part.
>>
>> How will I use / setup CentOS to check all traffic coming in & out
>> (HTTP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP, etc) for virusses and clean them? We host
>> both Windows & Linux servers, and I'm not too worried about the Linux
>> servers, but Windows needs a lot of extra protection.
>>

> ssshhh!!!  Don't tell Trend Micro you are scanning for viruses at the
> gateway ... they don't like that term :-D
>
> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2219926/breakthrough-trend-micro-patent-barracuda

Are you saying I'm not allowed todo this, and will be violating a patent
right for building my own network level virus scanner / anti-virus gateway?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com