[CentOS] Java Setup

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Jul 10 17:26:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Clint Dilks wrote:

> I have been following the instructions here
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS but trying to modify them for
> jdk-6u7-linux-amd64.rpm but there doesn't see to be a compatible
> java-1.6.0-sun-compat-*.rpm.    Does one exist ?

What's wrong with the java-1.4.2-gcj-compat?  There is no
dependency impediment of which I am aware.

My installation is maintained with the first part narrative
('A simple approach') at
 	http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS
 	http://www.trading-shim.org/faq/?java

I'll try a bump to U7 from Sun and see how it goes:
 	http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
 		Java SE Development Kit 6u7
 		jdk-6u7-linux-x64-rpm.bin

and note any changes after the sig; hold on ... back ... no --
I see no Dependency or Requres" problem using
java-1.4.2-gcj-compat with jdk-1.6.0_07-fcs

A side note: To Sun's credit, the adoption of the 'latest'
link simmplifies matters, and I need to update my writeup's a
bit ...

[herrold at centos-5 java]$ pwd ; ls -l
/usr/java
total 16
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   16 Jul 10 13:17 default -> /usr/java/latest
drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Jul 10 13:18 jdk1.6.0_07
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   21 Jul 10 13:18 latest -> /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_07
[herrold at centos-5 java]$

On a related side note, I see the following is still in the U7
License Agreement, which has been an impediment to CentOS
inclusion of Sun's Java in the past:

 	(viii) You shall indemnify Sun for all damages
 	arising from your failure to comply
 	with the requirements of this Agreement.

Exposure to liability to an potential asserted violation,
('(vii) You may not include any third party software on the
Media which is intended to be a replacement or substitute for
the Software;', anyone? /me thinks of 'java-1.4.2-gcj-compat'
which is a partial replacement, essentially be definition)
without CentOS having had anyone step forward since the last
time this question came up, offering to 'pay the freight' to
indemnify the project against such liability.

-- Russ herrold

pre-bump:

[herrold at centos-5 ~]$ rpm -qa \*java\*
sun-javadb-javadoc-10.3.1-4.1
sun-javadb-core-10.3.1-4.1
sun-javadb-demo-10.3.1-4.1
sun-javadb-docs-10.3.1-4.1
gcc-java-4.1.2-42.el5
sun-javadb-client-10.3.1-4.1
java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-40jpp.115
sun-javadb-common-10.3.1-4.1
[herrold at centos-5 ~]$ rpm -q jdk --qf '%{arch}\n'
x86_64
[herrold at centos-5 ~]$ rpm -q jdk
jdk-1.6.0_05-fcs
[herrold at centos-5 ~]$

post-bump:

[herrold at centos-5 java]$ rpm -q jdk ; rpm -q jdk --qf '%{arch}\n' ;  \
 	rpm -qa \*java\*
jdk-1.6.0_07-fcs
x86_64
sun-javadb-common-10.3.1-4.1