[CentOS] Kernel is not compiled with IPv6 support?

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Jul 10 19:15:00 UTC 2008

How did I get this?

I am current on my 5.2 upgrades on this system.  Running kernel:
2.6.18-92.1.6.el5

I did a service network restart and got:

Shutting down interface eth0:                              [  OK  ]
Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
FATAL: Module off not found.
CRITICAL : [ipv6_test] Kernel is not compiled with IPv6 support
Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth0:  FATAL: Module off not found.
CRITICAL : [ipv6_test] Kernel is not compiled with IPv6 support
                                                           [  OK  ]
FATAL: Module off not found.
CRITICAL : [ipv6_test] Kernel is not compiled with IPv6 support

/etc/sysconfig/network has:

NETWORKING=yes
NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
HOSTNAME=onlo.htt-consult.com

and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 has:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=00:50:8B:A1:FE:1C
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=onlo.htt-consult.com
IPADDR=208.83.67.148
NETMASK=255.255.255.248
GATEWAY=208.83.67.145
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6_AUTOCONF=yes
PEERDNS=no

A system on this subnet is supposedly running radvd.