[CentOS] Re: OT: anything in CentOS 5.2 that uses opendns.com when browsing web?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Jul 11 17:36:19 UTC 2008

on 7-10-2008 5:52 PM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
> On 7/10/08, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>> When you set up your connection to your provider, do you have a static
>> address
>> or dynamic?
>
> Dynamic IP
>
>> If static, you had to set your next step resolver in the config.
>> If you are dynamic, you get what your provider sends with the dhcp request.
>> Since you said you have an ipcop box for your router you should be able to
>> ssh
>> into it and run setup and change your nameserver setting to 127.0.0.1 and
>> your
>> ipcop should be a caching nameserver. If you have another address there it
>> will query to that server.
>
> I never tried to SSH into the IPCop box before. I've always connected
> to it via the web interface. I tried to SSH into it, but apparently I
> have that Blocked, in the IPCop configuration settings.
>
> [root at dell2400 ~]# ssh ipcop.homelan
> ssh: connect to host ipcop.homelan port 22: Connection refused
> [root at dell2400 ~]#
>
> Obviously, I need to change that, so I can run Setup from a terminal
> window, run the dig + trace command as you did from one of your IPCop
> boxes, etc. I just turned on SSH access in IPCop. It says it uses Port
> 222 which is non standard for SSH....
>
> I am looking at it from the web interface. Under DHCP, for the Green
> Interface, for Primary DNS, it shows 192.168.10.1    If I change that
> to 127.0.0.1 I'm done?  Other than possibly needing to change a
> configuration setting in the ADSL Modem, regarding DNS?  Thanks much!
No !!! Don't change it there. That is the IP address sent to your dhcp clients
for them to use for dns. If you set that to 127.0.0.1, no one will find anything.
You need to run setup either from a terminal window on the ipcop box or by ssh.
About halfway down is "Networking" which you select, and in that menu is "Dns
and Gateway Settings".

You would set the primary dns to 127.0.0.1 and if you want set the secondary
dns to what your primary dns was set at. You might have to play with the
options to have dhcp assigned red and still be able to set your nameserver
settings.
The ipcop boxes I have are all on static ip's, on either T1's or business
class DSL, so the settings are a little different.

Whatever you do, write down the original settings of anything you change so
you can restore it if it horribly breaks.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and