[CentOS] Re: OT: anything in CentOS 5.2 that uses opendns.com when browsing web?

Sat Jul 12 17:54:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 5:48 PM, William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>
wrote:

> <snip>> You have to check your version (should appear in the installed
> updates
> > section), go to the website and see if there is something new. The
> > 1.4.18 was latest last I looked.

Looks like I'm up to date and that the last update to IPCop was installed
twice...
Attaching screenshot of my IPCop box.  Screenshot.png

In some other replies you sent to me, I understand that you thought I
already had DNS Caching running on
the IPCop box.  It isn't set up that way, however, looking at System Status
in the IPCop web interface, it shows
"DNS proxy server" RUNNING

So, maybe I just need to change the configuration settings in the IPCop box
and in the ADSL Modem and if it works as
planned, I will have my Catching DNS Server up and running. I will try that,
when the VIP users are not online and I can use the other IPCop box to play
with. I do not want to "LBD" (Learn By Destroying) on the IPCop box that is
working for us now. If I screw up the other one (probably that won't
happen), I can work with it when I have the time and maybe put SME Server or
the CentOS 4.4 Server CD on it.

The other thing is, someone who replied suggested that I get an account on
opendns.com and use opendns.com and I may look into that, and use
opendns.com for DNS,  until I can work with the other IPCop box and try the
caching DNS Server.  I need to find his reply and reply to him.

Late yesterday afternoon, I had a long phone conversation with someone in
Support at our ISP. I have been in touch with a Supervisor there for the
past 10 days since this thing with opendns.com began and she had him call
me.  I got into the web interface for the ADSL modem and changed the
configuration, so he could log into it, remotely. He found a problem, which
their men working in our subdivision found, a few weeks ago, where our
signal is has a problem, they think 2 cables are touching. The cables for
our 2 phone lines (long cables, about 100 (?) meters long, running along the
street) are underground and they mentioned running them above ground.
However, that has nothing to do with our slow DNS, no DNS, or getting to
opendns.com problem    I saw where the Primary and Secondary DNS Servers are
in the configuration for the ADSL modem and if I get an account on
opendns.com maybe I will use their DNS Servers, temporarily..   :-