[CentOS] pci-x v2 detect on command line

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Tue Jul 15 09:45:58 UTC 2008

On Monday 14 July 2008, Tony Schreiner wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2008, at 12:28 PM, Bo Lynch wrote:
> > On Mon, July 14, 2008 11:43 am, Tony Schreiner wrote:
> >> Is there a way to tell from the OS whether the PCI-X bus is version 2
> >> or not?

You basically have two ways to go. 1) Google the PCI bridge 2) run lspci with
a few -v options and attempt to decode the output.

The first approach would have told you that the AMD bridge does indeed support
PCI-X version 2 but only to 266 MHz (assuming the board/bios etc. supports
it). The cheap intel chip you mentioned below wont even likely run 133 MHz
version 1 very fast...

But at this point it's probably relevant to ask why do you care? I have seen
many high performance PCI, PCI-X and PCI-express cards but PCI-X-2? ...that
hasn't seen any wide use at all. Do you really have a card that is PCI-X-2?
As I understand it it's quite dead in the water and everyone has moved on to
PCI-express.

/Peter