[CentOS]thnkss: off topic question plss need ur help

fabian dacunha fabian at baladia.gov.kw
Tue Jul 15 16:34:07 UTC 2008

>> on 7-14-2008 1:45 PM fabian dacunha spake the following:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I have been using centos 5.1 for quite some time as out DNS and mail
>>> server
>>> and been workin fine
>>>
>>> i use sendmail as my mail server
>>>
>>> i did setup a backup mail server as per docs and ran th dns test from
>>> http://www.checkdns.net
>>>
>>> and it says both the mail servers are fine
>>>

>>> but i would like to know the following
>>>
>>> how would i really know if my main primary server is down all my mails
>>> goin to my secondary mail server
>>>
>>> and when my primary is up are the mails copied back to my primary
>>>
>>> i did put down my mail server for abt 3 hrs cause cant keep it down for
>>> long but did not really see anything
>>>
>>> also are there any websites that can chec both my mail servers
>>> correctly
>>>

>>> apprecite and thnaks
>>>

>> A real simple test would be to bring down the primary and send yourself
>> something from an outside address like yahoo or gmail. give it 10 or 15
>> minutes, bring the primary up and when you see the message to yourself,
>> it
>> should have a header from your backup server also.

Thanks scott
i did test my mail setup by sending 2 emails from outside address
by shutting down my primary mail server

and i could see that the mail was queued to my secondary

and after abt 20 min which is wht the queue time set by me the mail was
perfectly delivered to my inbox

apprecite n thnks

actually my queue time ealier was set to 1 hr and hence i never waitied
for 1 hr
jus w8ed for 20 min to 30 min n hence was confused

thnks once again

regards
fabian

>> --