[CentOS] Stopping a server not controled by service

Alex ethericalzen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 19:54:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:33:41 -0600
Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> took out a #2 pencil and

> Miredo is run as a server from the command line:
> /usr/sbin/miredo
> The man page says the signal SIGTERM stops the server.
> How do I send SIGTERM to the server?  Or SIGHUP, as I want to
> make a change to the config file.

If you want to terminate the process you can find the PID via 'ps
aux' and issue the command 'kill -9 pidofprocess'. If you know the
name of the process you may use 'killall -9 processname'.

SIGHUP I always call 'kill -HUP pidofprocess'. Or 'killall -HUP

SIGHUP will restart the process after it has died. Such as one does
with gdm-binary when meeting some unfortunate driver issue and you
want to restart the process rather than kill it off entirely.

> And once I get this as I want it, how do I run it at system boot?

You could put it in /etc/rc.local

Simply append '/usr/sbin/miredo to the end of /etc/rc.local

Alex White

ethericalzen at gmail.com
Life is a prison, death is a release