[CentOS] Stopping a server not controled by service

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Tue Jul 15 19:59:37 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 13:33 -0600, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Miredo is run as a server from the command line:
>
> /usr/sbin/miredo
>
> The man page says the signal SIGTERM stops the server.
>
> How do I send SIGTERM to the server?  Or SIGHUP, as I want to make a
> change to the config file.

kill -TERM <PID>  # or -HUP

You can also use the numeric equivalents. I forget them all but a man
kill should lead you down the primrose path to total confusion!  :-)

> And once I get this as I want it, how do I run it at system boot?

I would suggest a look at /etc/rc.local or /etc/rc.d/rc.local might do.
However, it runs late and so you may need to generate an init script,
stick it in /etc/rc/init.d and provide an appropriately named symlink.

If you choose this method, read up on chkconfig et al.

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill