[CentOS] Bonding and Xen

Victor Padro vpadro at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 22:34:20 UTC 2008

> I have not used bonding with xen, but once you have a bonded interface in
> the
> Dom0 it should be trivial.  setup your bonded interface as usual, then in
> /etc/xend-config.sxp where it says (network-script network-bridge)
> set it to
> (network-script 'network-bridge netdev=bond0')
> it should just work.

Somewhere I read that a while ago...will make notes about that, thank you.

100Mbps is a whole lot of bandwidth for a webserver unless you are serving
> video or large file downloads or something. 100Mbps is enough to choke a
> very powerful mailserver, nevermind exchange.

Webservers are used to upload video and audio conferences and even stream
them across the LAN and access SugarCRM to download/view reports, etc.
If we use only one M$ exchange server sometimes gets bottlenecked with all
those kinds of mails sent. avi's mpeg's videos, wav's, mp3's, excel and
powerpoint docs, etc.
But we have 2 backups that can handle all just fine, so we're trying to
replace them with a Xen cluster based on Centos and postfix.

> I suspect that if you are using windows on Xen, disk and network I/O to and
> from the windows DomU will be a bigger problem than network speeds.  Are
> you using the paravirtualized windows drivers?  without them, network and
> disk IO is going to feel pretty slow in windows, no matter how fast the
> actual network or disk is.

We're not using windows under Xen, we're trying to get rid of M$(reducing
licensing fees mostly).
We use CentOS for SugarCRM and Debian for DNS, but want to use CentOS for
everything if we could.

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente