[CentOS] OT - Windows slowdown?

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Wed Jul 16 07:47:47 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers schrieb:
> This isn't the right place, but a bit of help is always welcome :)
>
> Windows XP, as with most other Windows' has the irritating habit of
> pilling up junk in the registry, and other places. My first check is
> always to check for viruses - update the virus definitions, and scan
> the PC thoroughly, do a scan disk & defrag, and then try a registry
> repair tool. Other than that, a re installation  is your best bet.

Anything that takes longer than 30 minutes is better solved with a
re-install (with Windows).
Too bad that you have to re-install all the shiny applications, too
(which takes ages, usually).
But then, CentOS throws most of its stuff in /usr/bin and /bin, too, so
you can't differentiate between "OS" and applications, either.

I'd rather have a "base" install and a separate directory with "all the
rest". And of course, two different RPM-dbs, too.

cu,
Rainer