[CentOS] centralized patch management

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Wed Jul 16 14:08:06 UTC 2008

Terry schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I have been asked to come up with a strategy for centralized patch
> management of our linux servers.  Today, this is only centos and rhel.
>    What is everyone else doing in this arena?

I investigated this earlier.
The only thing that seems halfway usable is pakiti:
http://pakiti.sourceforge.net/

People who think that running "yum update" every night is a solution
should go back and do some research.
This is how it might work at home (mostly), but not the way you deploy
patches to a large number of systems who serve different purposes and
thus have different package-selections, user-requirements,
patch-policies and downtime-schemas etc.pp.

I hope to be able to test pakiti soon.

cheers,
Rainer