[CentOS] yum remove <old kernel pkgs> -- wants to remove a to n of stuff

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Jul 16 16:44:19 UTC 2008

Bowie Bailey wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> You are trying to remove kernel-utils ...you don't want to do that.
>> That might cut back the deps a bit.  Also, i never remove packages with
>> yum, but with:
>>
>> rpm -e `cat list`
>>
>> But, that is just my advise.
>
> I didn't think there was any functional difference between:
>
> rpm -e package-name
>
> and
>
> yum remove package-name
>
> Isn't yum just a front-end for the rpm system?

There is a huge difference.

rpm -e will tell you that you package foo (that you want to install) is
required by package bar, so don't install it.

Yum will resolve all the dependancies and try to remove foo and bar and
anything else that is required to be removed if bar is removed, etc.

If you are not careful, you can get things like glibc removed with "yum
remove".

I normally want to resolve my own deps if I remove something.  I once
DID remove glibc from a machine with "yum remove" ... and that is NOT
pretty to recover from :D