[CentOS] Problems with building an rpm

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Jul 17 05:45:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> I followed the setup instructions from
>  http://www.owlriver.com/tips/non-root/

... the author is known to me  ;)

> Assuming that you are in /etc/sudoers!!!!
> And then asked for a password.
> Which password?  My userid or root's?  I tried both and after 3 tries got:

> me is not in sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
> removing '/home/me/rpmbuild/BUILD/hipl--main--2.6/hipl-1.0.4'

The end user account password is what sudo is looking for ...
as noted, it seems you had not configured /etc/sudoers to
include you.

> So I look at /etc/sudoers and do not understand what I am
> suppose to do there.

A sample entry which permits a single user machine to do root
operations when needed, but to stay in its non-priv'd mode
most of the time looks like something as simple as:

[herrold at new ~]$ sudo grep herrold /etc/sudoers
Password:    [here, the end user 'herrold's password]
herrold ALL=(ALL) ALL
[herrold at new ~]$

... We need root rights to read /etc/sudoers, or else it would
have not been needed except for teaching reasons.

> A bit of help would be greatly appreciated!

Hope this helps .. I wonder a bit at your description of
untarring, ./configure'ing, etc ... that is not part of rpm
building from .spec or SRPM.

-- Russ herrold