[CentOS] Custom CentOS iso's

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Jul 17 10:24:51 UTC 2008

Tracy R Reed wrote:

> I have a consulting client who has a Linux based storage appliance which
> is based on Fedora Core 2. I'll pause here while you laugh...
>
> They need to upgrade to something more easily supported and CentOS is
> the chosen distro. They have the source RPM's for their old system
> stored in CVS and have a very weird/complicated build system to turn it
> all into an iso which I am still figuring out. They version control
> their source rpm's but don't really use CVS version numbers to number
> their distros. Instead they build an iso and name/number that and then
> have to keep the iso around forever.
>
> I want to go through their CVS, pick out the stuff we want to port to
> CentOS and trash the rest. And keep it all version controlled at the
> same time. The current thinking is that we want to get off of CVS and
> move to Mercurial.
>
> Given the above and that we want to customize our CentOS build what is
> the best way to do that? I am thinking we would like to work with the
> source rpm's. Putting binaries under version control which can just be
> built from the source seems silly. If we put the source rpm's and any
> associated build scripts in version control then given any particular
> repository version number we should be able to reproduce any installable
> ISO we created in the past.
>
> I am imagining that we will have a huge source tree of exploded SRPMS
> and we will go through the old CVS and evaluate all of the
> customizations they made and whichever are worthy can be hacked into the
> SRPMS, RPM's get built out of these, and an ISO gets built out of the
> RPM's.

We install the SRPMS and move all the tar files out of SVN and into a
directory, keeping all the patches and text files in SVN.  We put the
tarballs in a webdav directory (in a subdirectory under SRPM name)

> Does all of this sound feasible?

yes

> Does CentOS already have tools for automating a complete iso build from
> an SRPM repository?

No ... we maintain a package tree, and build the ISO from that.

For CentOS-5, building an ISO uses the anaconda runtime and the
buildinstall command.  Here is documentation on the buildinstall command:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/BuildInstall