[CentOS] Problems with building an rpm

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Jul 17 12:31:47 UTC 2008

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> thanks for replying.
>
> R P Herrold wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>>> I followed the setup instructions from
>>> http://www.owlriver.com/tips/non-root/
>>
>> ... the author is known to me ;)
>>
>>> Assuming that you are in /etc/sudoers!!!!
>>> And then asked for a password.
>>> Which password? My userid or root's? I tried both and after 3 tries got:
>>
>>> me is not in sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
>>> removing '/home/me/rpmbuild/BUILD/hipl--main--2.6/hipl-1.0.4'
>>
>> The end user account password is what sudo is looking for ... as
>> noted, it seems you had not configured /etc/sudoers to include you.
>>
>>> So I look at /etc/sudoers and do not understand what I am suppose to
>>> do there.
>>
>> A sample entry which permits a single user machine to do root
>> operations when needed, but to stay in its non-priv'd mode most of the
>> time looks like something as simple as:
>>
>> [herrold at new ~]$ sudo grep herrold /etc/sudoers
>> Password: [here, the end user 'herrold's password]
>> herrold ALL=(ALL) ALL
>> [herrold at new ~]$
>>
>> ... We need root rights to read /etc/sudoers, or else it would have
>> not been needed except for teaching reasons.
>>
>>> A bit of help would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Hope this helps .. I wonder a bit at your description of untarring,
>> ./configure'ing, etc ... that is not part of rpm building from .spec
>> or SRPM.
> Here is what I was told to do:
>
> wget http://hipl.hiit.fi/hipl/hipl.tar.gz
>
> you can build on CentOS by executing:
>
> tar xvzf hipl.tar.gz
> cd hipl--main--2.6
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure
> make rpm
>
> ("make install" works too, but installs to /usr/local by default)
>
> Software requirements are listed here:
>
> http://infrahip.hiit.fi/hipl/manual/ch02.html

OK ... after several changes to the spec file, I got this to build.  The
process was rather intense, so rather than trying to document it I will
post a good SRPM after I verify that all the build requirements are
there and it will also build the same in mock.

So, in a couple minutes expect a link to download a GOOD SRPM for this
package that builds on centos-5 i386 and x86_64