[CentOS] preferred software RAID 10?

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Thu Jul 17 22:31:19 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote on Thu, 17 Jul 2008 23:10:48 +0200:

> > /boot shouldn't be mirrored, as the BIOS won't know how to boot it.
> > leave /dev/sdb1 the same size as /dev/sda1 and call it /boot2 and try
> > to remember to copy /boot to /boot2 each time you update the kernel.
> I understand this, but how do you boot from /boot2 on the second HDD if
> the 1st have failed?

You don't (*). I don't understand John's advice here. There is no problem
md mirroring /boot. You just need to install grub a second time on the
other disk. For that you have to boot from it. (I think I also did it
successfully without booting from the other disk in the past, but last
time I tried it it didn't want to work like I remembered it should.)

(*) Anyway, you would boot from a Rescue CD or such and rename it ...

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany