[CentOS] configuration request

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Sat Jul 19 14:49:33 UTC 2008

Well to start, I'm not that new to CentOS, but I've never used yum
except to keep things up to date, but after reading a lot of articles, I
started adding software I'd never used before, and unfortunately, the
most up to date versions came from repositories which I thought were all
the same.  I never realized there were multiple sources where bits could
be obtained, yet of different versions.  That's my fault.  Prior to
migrating to Linux, I'd been a BSD person, and with BSD, you had one
source of software, and you didn't have to worry about different
versions from different sources, as everything was located within a
central source.

My current version is 4.6, and it most likely where I'll stay for some
time, as the software I use has most likely not been tested or rebuilt
for later versions, but I'm behind on the weather software itself.  The
server at my co-lo site has only 512m memory, and the server here at my
house has 2G, so I don't think I need the huge-mem kernel for the
downtown location, nor here for that matter.  Essentially, I only use
the stock kernel, whatever version happens to be current, and even with
that said, I don't reboot every time a kernel comes out because of a
problem with remote reboots which fails most of the time, and it's
difficult to get into the co-lo site, and the ISP does not keep
personnel at the building all the time.  Only when someone needs to get
in, or has a problem will they send someone downtown.

Based on my past 3 years of running CentOS, I'll admit I'm not nearly as
up to speed with various aspects of it and a lot of the tools
available.  Only in the past few days did I realize within the various
repo files, were they subdivided into the various areas by name.  To
make a long story short, I'd just like to be able to keep up essentially
the base software on the server(s) and not have to worry about getting
files mixed up like I was told by numbers of folks.  Just did not sink
in from previous messages stating the same thing.  At any rate, I did
manage to get some stuff fixed yesterday, but yum is still pulling in
some of the kernel stuff that I don't need or want, and that's the basis
for my request for help.

Thanks for your reply,

Sam