[CentOS] Load Average ~0.40 when idle

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 04:43:54 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 2:48 PM, listmail <listmail at entertech.com> wrote:
> I am running CentOS 5 on a dual-dual-core Intel machine, and I am seeing
> a load average of between 0.35 and 0.50 while the machine is idle, i.e.
> no processes appear to be running.

Download the livecd and boot using it. See if the load average still
occurs. Check to see if you have any traffic occuring on the network
from the system. [I had a box that was kernel trojaned that had a load
average all the time when it was on the wire and did not when it
didn't. The kernel trojan was looking for a particular bit of traffic
that would open up its backdoor to.]

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux