[CentOS] Cannot boot from DVD on an Intel Svr to install CentOS 5.2

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Sun Jul 20 17:50:12 UTC 2008

William Warren wrote on Sat, 19 Jul 2008 08:04:43 -0400:

> checkout the bugtracker..this is a long running issue.  The issue stems
> from newer servers/computers using sata optical drives.

Looks like you mean:

I think I have the same issue. I want to boot in the rescue mode on a Dell
R200. The DVD drive is connected via SATA. It boots fine, but then when I
tell it about the local CDROM installation it prompts me with "unable to
find any devices of the type needed for this installation type" and asks
to select a driver. I tried all sata_ drivers from the list, but none
seems to work.
I'm now going to give it a network path, but, nevertheless, shouldn't the
DVD boot to rescue work just fine? It can boot from the DVD, but then
cannot access the OS data? Weird.

Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany