[CentOS] Ideas for stopping ssh brute force attacks

Michael Gabriel irzyxel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 21:01:40 UTC 2008

easiest way with centos board tools is iptable recent module ...

simply limit the amount of connections a host is allowed to the ssh port

iptables -N SSHSCAN
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -j SSHSCAN
iptables -A SSHSCAN -m recent --set --name SSH
iptables -A SSHSCAN -m recent --update --seconds 300 --hitcount 3 --name SSH
-j DROP

limits each host to 3 connections within 5 minutes. enough to make bots stop
and still not too annoying for users that mistype their password 3x3 times