[CentOS] Dual video card, 1 monitor each (ref dual head) CentoS4.6 xorg does only 1 head

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Tue Jul 22 16:02:37 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 11:45 -0400, Glenn wrote:
> At 11:13 AM 7/22/2008, you wrote:
> >On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 06:03:16 -0400
> >"William L. Maltby" <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> took out a #2 pencil
> >and scribbled:
> >
> > > I need to start running a dual head on one of my machines.
> > > Eventual target is CentOS 5.x. Decided to test first on my 4.6
> > ><snip>

> > > Briefly, kudzu did the right thing when I installed the second
> > > card. System-config-display also behaved correctly. X start ok,
> > > but will only use one head at a time. <snip>

> > > Q1: Anyone have a two video card CentOS 4.6 setup working?
> > >
> > > Q2: Is it working in CentOS 5?
> > >
> > > Q3: Anyone see something I'm doing wrong? Suggestions?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> >
> >This was addressed on the list at one point, and marked as solved
> >by the poster.
> >
> >http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-May/080915.html
> >
> >Does this help you out? I haven't had occasion to play with dual
> >head yet.
> >
> >A quick google also turned this up, but it is not directly related
> >to CentOS, I run an nvidia card and can't speak to how well this
> >would work for you.
> >
> >http://www.linuxine.com/2008/06/how-to-enable-dual-monitors-with-ati-diplay-card-in-linux.html
> >
> >Mind the line wrapping.
> >
> >HTH
> >
> >Alex White
>
> Good reading, even though I am not doing dual-head at the moment.
>
> First thing that popped in my head upon reading the initial request
> was check Matrox.. they've always been on the high-end and I knew
> their graphics cards were well supported in Linux. Shop eBay and see
> Matrox' site (http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/drivers/) to
> compare whether the card has a Linux driver. Many of their models are
> dual-head on one card.

I'd considered that myself. But being an obstinate bastard with lots of
usabe hardwar laying around begging to be used, I tend to do things the
hard way. It's surprising how much I've learned over the years that way.

Anyway, I've ATI and Nvidia cards with dual capability (1 analog, 1
digital) and I figured that by now both would be supported even in EL
distros. Guessed wrong it seems.

My theory is it's a pure Xorg issue. I'll take the time to wait and see
what happens and then decide how to proceed.

Thank you for taking the time and effort.

--
Bill