[CentOS] nspluginwrapper included in CentOS 5.2 fails completely

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 19:28:05 UTC 2008

> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/MultimediaOnCentOS
>
> I think everything on that page is 32 bit and I think I have read in
> this ML that it is better to use
> 32 bit for multimedia stuff? Not sure if I remember that correctly

Yeah, I was doing that last year, and all was going relatively
smoothly until Seamonkey began to crash at odd (and really bad)
moments, like when I wanted to save a page that was the confirmation
of an order or a bill paid, and it was pretty adamant about doing that
when I least expected it.

I've been using the 64-bit home-build of Seamonkey's pre-alpha working
sources for the 2.0 release rather successfully, with nspluginwrapper
from rpmforge.  But when 5.2 came out and it contained Red Hat's
latest rev of the nspluginwrapper, none of the plugins worked.  I got
blank space, or worse, nothing at all, where flash videos were
supposed to play, and blank pages for pdfs, and so on.  Red Hat did
something to nspw that just plain broke it, and as far as I can see,
there is no documentation on the new revision as to how it's supposed
to fit in or work under the new update.

(sigh)

This is mostly rehash for those who have been around this list for a while.

So far, the 32-bit version of SM works fine.

mhr