[CentOS] Sendmail conf

Benjamin Karhan simon at pop.psu.edu
Wed Jul 23 01:39:00 UTC 2008

A little birdy told me that Joseph L. Casale said:

] A long time ago someone helped me with setting up sendmail to simply queue
] and relay mail. They suggested:
]
] 1) edit /etc/sysconfig/sendmail and set
]     "DAEMON=no"
] 2) edit /etc/mail/submit.mc and set
]     FEATURE(`msp', `[IP.of.relayhost]')dnl
]
] Given the sendmail-cf RPM is already installed a "service sendmail
] restart" is enough to a light, direct submitting sendmail setup.
]
] How does one rewrite all mail to one specific address so it can be filtered
] by a user that receives all mail for this host? Can there be a rule in place
] with the above config? Hopefully that is just as easy in sendmail as it is
] postfix!

we have a special use system that does this...
it's easy enough... especially if other accounts don't actually exist
  on the mail server...
first we define:

	 define(`LUSER_RELAY', `local:root')dnl

  in sendmail.mc before regenerating the .cf file...
  then, in /etc/aliases we also redefine "root" to the intended
  "end recipients":

  	root:           <(list of comma-separated) user(s)>

  the end result being that ALL incoming email goes to the
  account(s) listed in the root alias...
and i think that's about it... but then again, that particular
  system is set up so that none of the other user accounts
  that we are expecting email from actually exist...
i suppose you could simply "fix" that limitation by adding
  similar forwards in /etc/aliases for any other actual account
  such as:

  	<actual-local-user>:	root

anyways... that seems a relatively simple solution...
  if anyone can see problems/caveats jump right in...

B. Karhan
simon at pop.psu.edu
PRI/SSRI Unix Administrator