[CentOS] how do I stop X / gnome via SSH?

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Wed Jul 23 08:29:11 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 23 July 2008, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I need to disable / stop X from running on a remote server, to which I
> > only have SSH access, and I have never done this before. So, can
> > someone please tell me how todo it?
>
> telinit 3

This will cause the server to switch from runlevel 5 (which includes X) to
runlevel 3 (which does not). _But_ a small warning here: runlevel 3 may very
well differ in more ways that just lacking X. Depending on how your server is
configured you may shutdown some services you wanted to keep (you may also
start new ones you didn't expect).

To further investigate what you server does indeed run in runlevel 3 and 5
study relevant columns from the command: "chkconfig --list".

/Peter