[CentOS] How to get additional packages? How secure is Yum?

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 17:55:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Manuel Reimer <Manuel.Reimer at gmx.de> wrote:

> I'm searching for a distribution for several *months* now and so far I couldn't find something that fits my needs...
>
> CentOS seems to be pretty well done, but the amount of packages that is delivered with it definetly doesn't fit all needs. Today, I tried to set up a server with CentOS (VMWare server). Worked pretty well, but for installing the NTFS driver, I had to import the rpmforge repository...

Not sure why you *need* NTFS support to use/run VMWare Server...?

For NTFS support, I routinely download the latest CentOS release
kernel sources and build it in, but you can also just build the module
and use dkms to keep it up to date.

As for the availability of packages, well, some things come with a
distribution and others don't.  E.g., I like to use Seamonkey (instead
of Firefox or other options), but I don't think it comes with any
distribution, so I get it and install it separately.  You just have to
decide which is more important - the distro you like best, or the
explosion of packages you want.

mhr