[CentOS] Re: Native Command Queueing

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Jul 24 18:21:14 UTC 2008

on 7-24-2008 9:35 AM Matt spake the following:
>>> Is there anyway to enable NCQ on CentOS 4.6?  I guess anouther
>>> question is on a somewhat high activity mail server with a single
>>> SATA2 drive will it do any good?
>>> Matt
>> I doubt it will make a BIG difference, but you might be looking for trouble
>> running a highly active server of any kind on a single spindle.
> Some decisions made in past are hard to undo down the road.  Would
> like to move to CentOS 64 5.x with RAID but moving everything too a
> new box is a very severe pain.  I have to move it to new IP space
> shortly and hate the idea of that.
> Matt
You could easily move to a software raid1 with very little downtime and a few
reboots. It might also help slightly with read latencies, but wouldn't help
with writes.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!