[CentOS] Re: IPCop updates, Evolution Calendar rarely crashes now

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Jul 28 17:08:55 UTC 2008

on 7-26-2008 1:05 PM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva-m4n3GYAQT2lWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> on 7-24-2008 5:36 PM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
> <snip>
>> At work, you
>>> do the reboot at  3 A.M.  or you have users who are furious, or you
>>> send them a message the network is going down temporarily?
>> I usually have to do updates like that on the weekends, as I can't depend on
>> a 3AM reboot to be up in the morning when Exec's are in. A reboot I trust,
>> but not the first one after a kernel change. On a weekend I can drive in and
>> see what happened if necessary and switch to a backup router.
>> In our main office I have 2 running side by side and I can log in to the T1
>> router and change switch ports to swap them. Then a reboot on the router to
>> hasten the MAC changeover. Usually 5 minutes tops.
> Thank you for the explanation! I wondered, if you would trust it, to
> come back up, if you scheduled a reboot for 3 A.M.

I just had a perfect example this morning. One of the routers didn't come back
up after the upgrades and remote reboot yesterday. I had to have someone at
the site powercycle the equipment. Still much easier than having to drive over
there myself.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!