[CentOS] Duplicate PV on HW RAID?

Toby Bluhm tkb at midwestinstruments.com
Mon Jul 28 18:20:04 UTC 2008

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> Eduardo Grosclaude wrote:
>> Hello,
>> My "hardware" (?) RAID system seems to work but says
>> "duplicate PV" while booting, I don't think I was reading

Could just be that lvm is finding your pv through another path -
lvm.conf can be setup to only scan specific devices.

> There might be a disk from an old RAID1 set in there.

I'll second that. I forgot to zero out one of my disks from a test raid
setup & the when I rebooted for the 5.2 upgrade, lvm refused to start -
duplicate uuid - IIRC. 5.1 + updates didn't present the problem, so
something was changed in that regard for 5.2.

mdadm --examine <pv device(s)> will tell if there's raid metadata there,
--zero-superblock will erase it.

--
Toby Bluhm
Alltech Medical Systems America, Inc.