[CentOS] smartd on RAID controllers?

Sean Carolan scarolan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 20:49:34 UTC 2008

> /dev/sda is the virtual disk as it appears to CentOS as I can access it
> with hdparm.
> Do I need to use another device for the RAID array (which?) or is it
> impossible to smart monitor "thru" a RAID controller?

You probably will want to install the "HP Proliant Support Pack" as it will
include the hpasm command line tools as well as a handy HP System Management
home page.  You can set it up to send you email alerts or send snmp traps to
a central server running the HP SIM software any time one of your hard
drives fails.  We use HP SIM in production to monitor both our Dell and HP
servers, and it works great.  I get an alert any time a RAID card or hard
drive has issues.