[CentOS] /etc/hosts missing localhost?

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Mon Jul 28 21:58:23 UTC 2008

Following up, info below.

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008, Bill Campbell wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 22, 2008, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> Bill Campbell wrote:

>>> I guess I could yell at myself as I'm doing kickstart installs from
>>> a local mirror.
>>>
>>> I found the same thing on two CentOS 5.1 installs here, one on a
>>> VMware VM, the other on real iron.  The wierd thing is that the
>>> base VMware VM I have that I copy to create new VMs looks OK.
>>> Now I'm going to have to poke around to see what's causing this
>>> line to be deleted.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>> I had a similar problem using OpenVZ images, installed from kickstart -
>> almost like it's leaving some stuff out by default. So I ended up
>> creating the file manually and adding it to the kickstart file to be
>> copied over.
>
>The file was OK after the kickstart install, and after a ``yum update''.
>We install about 240 packages under the OpenPKG portable package management
>system which may have caused this, but I have not seen this problem prior
>to CentOS 5.2.
>
>I did not check to see the status of the /etc/hosts file after configuring
>the network with system-config-network, and before installing OpenPKG and
>its packages.  I may create a new VM, and run through the network
>configuration etc. to see where this is happening (VMware snapshots and
>revert sure simplify things like this :-).

I just did a fresh kickstart install of CentOS 5.2 as a VMware
virtual machine, and the 127.0.0.1 localhost line is missing
after doing ``yum update'' when I run ``system-config-network''
to assign a static IP address to the new VM.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

The cry has been that when war is declared, all opposition should
therefore be hushed.  A sentiment more unworthy of a free country could
hardly be propagated.  If the doctrine be admitted, rulers have only to
declare war and they are screened at once from scrutiny ...  In war,
then, as in peace, assert the freedom of speech and of the press.
Cling to this as the bulwark of all our rights and privileges.
		-- William Ellery Channing