[CentOS] Re: CentOS 5.2 yum repos old rpm

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Jul 28 23:50:41 UTC 2008

on 7-28-2008 4:16 PM Justin spake the following:
> Hey everyone,
>
> This is the first time I've ever used a mailing-list so bear with me :-)
>
> I've just got a new dedicated server from Hostik and they've installed
> CentOS 5.2 on the system (awesome!) and came pre-installed with PHP,
> MySQL, and Apache (among other things). I noticed that PHP version is
> 5.1.6, the MYSQL is 5.0.45, and Apache is 2.2.3
>
> I ran yum to update, thinking it would update them to 5.2.6,
> 5.0.51a-community, 2.2.9 respectively:
>
> # yum makecache
> # yum update
>
> Of course after some time, I realize that the CentOS 5 repos only have
> those versions as the latest rpms in the list.
>
> So my question is, how do I change my yum configuration to install the
> latest and greatest versions of rpms installed via yum?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Justin Bull
> http://www.c3studios.ca/pubkey.asc (PGP Public Key)
CentOS will never have the latest and greatest of anything. That is not how
Enterprise Linux distributions work. They are designed to be stable and
unchanging over their lifespan of half a decade or more.
If you want the latest and greatest, along with whatever new issues and
problems they might have, CentOS is not for you.

Now if you want somewhat newer, you can look at the CentOSplus repo.
It can have newer packages.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and