[CentOS] Hardware serial number access from (a) command(s)

thad thad.mailist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 00:10:27 UTC 2008

dmidecode should work in any Linux:

man dmidecode

DMIDECODE(8)                                          DMIDECODE(8)

NAME
       dmidecode - DMI table decoder

SYNOPSIS
       dmidecode [OPTIONS]

DESCRIPTION
       dmidecode  is a tool for dumping a computer's DMI (some say
       SMBIOS) table contents in a human-readable format. This ta‐
       ble  contains a description of the system's hardware compo‐
       nents, as well as other useful pieces of  information  such
       as  serial numbers and BIOS revision. Thanks to this table,
       you can retrieve this information without having  to  probe
       for  the  actual  hardware.   While this is a good point in
       terms of report speed and safeness,  this  also  makes  the
       presented information possibly unreliable.

sometimes truth is stranger than fiction
-bad religion-
http://www.bloglines.com/blog/mailist
I don't think the computers will take over the world. I have a bucket of
water.