[CentOS] You didn't give me some packages, so now I'm giving you some! R, TexLive, LyX, Gnumeric, etc.

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 00:50:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 7:39 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I tried Scientific Linux and found I had to re-build the same things
>> that I rebuild for CentOS, including R, because their versions lagged
>> behind the cutting edge.  I switched to Centos hoping that the larger
>> user community would generate more contributions of updated packages
>> for other things, like gnumeric or such.
> CentOS is strictly a rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and yes, it
> lags quite a ways behind the bleeding edge, but that's what stable
> distributions do.

Right. We know that.

As I said in the original post, I'm looking to have a distribution
that is conservative on the kernel, disk support, network drivers,
suspend features for laptops, and all of the basic things like that.

I do not want the Fedora experience of having a palm device work in
Fedora 6, but not in Fedora 7 and 8, only to spend 20 hours reading
through debugger output and advice in bugzilla about what's gone wrong
with some kernel module or driver.  I do not want to play the game
anymore of "does my wireless still work?" on a weekly basis.  I don't
want to waste my "user time" trying to find out what's wrong in HAL or
the the acpi subsystem.

I don't want the desktop to change gratuitously. For me, there's been
no user-perceptible improvement in Gnome for about 4 years. As long as
it supplies a program menu and a file manager, that's enough.

I do want up-to-date applications that people here actually use, like
LaTeX, Emacs, R, Gnumeric, and the other ones I can provide.  If I
can't get those from EPEL or rpmforge or wherever,  I'm willing to
build those packages.

I'm offering to share that back to you, but if you don't need it, that's fine.