[CentOS] rebuilding firefox- from fc8

Mark Pryor tlviewer at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 05:17:15 UTC 2008

I started with

with the hope of rebuilding it for el5/centos.

All of the dependencies were available (mostly from rpmforge) except one: something called system-bookmarks. I elected to comment out this from the spec, firefox.spec

I did the extracts with CPIO
rpm2cpio firefox-xxx.src.rpm | cpio -i firefox.spec
then i extracted everything else and copied it to my buildroot

then the moment of truth. I didn't see another way except to rebuild all so I did
>rpmbuild -ba --sign ~/SPECS/firefox.spec

while the above worked, it took long enough that I was able to go to dinner and have a beer before it finished. On top of that, thermal alarms went off as the CPU/PWM reached 57C/67C.

a new RPM, and src.RPM were written to the BR and the RPM (i386) works fine.

Was it necessary to do the complete build (-ba) since I only eliminated a single build-requires value?