[CentOS] You didn't give me some packages, so now I'm giving you some! R, TexLive, LyX, Gnumeric, etc.

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Tue Jul 29 08:41:33 UTC 2008

Paul Johnson wrote:
> I do want up-to-date applications that people here actually use, like
> LaTeX, Emacs, R, Gnumeric, and the other ones I can provide.  If I
> can't get those from EPEL or rpmforge or wherever,  I'm willing to
> build those packages.

EPEL (and CentOS, to a certain point) are a bit reluctant to offer newer
packages of applications which are in the product itself (Emacs, LaTeX
in this case). Yes, I know that there's centosplus and that contains
code where the itching got that strong that someone actually started to
scratch.

There's no real process of getting your packages into CentOS at the
moment, rpmrepo is still "finding itself", so my advice would be to
offer those packages (and maintenance) to rpmforge, which will be in
rpmrepo once that is up. See <https://rpmrepo.org/RPMforge/>. Getting it
in there also will help people with Scientific Linux or other
distributions.

Does that answer some of the questions?

Cheers,

Ralph