[CentOS] smartd on RAID controllers?

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Tue Jul 29 09:31:27 UTC 2008

Rainer Duffner wrote on Tue, 29 Jul 2008 00:46:58 +0200:

> It's know for consuming some CPU.

A-h-a.

> But taking a quick look on the support site (HP.com -> Support/Drivers-
>  >Servers->Proliant->DL>140>G3),

tried that, I just reach the same "arena" "Download drivers and software
- HP ProLiant DL140 G3 Server series" that I know. I have a shortcut for
that here ;-)

> I see that they consider your DL140 a
> bit too small to support with all tools.
>
> Normally, something like the HP Array Diagnostics utility would do the
> job, but alas: "HP ProLiant 100-series customers:  Because the HP
> System Management Homepage software is not supported for use with HP
> ProLiant 100-series servers, the Array Diagnostics Utility for Linux
> cannot be installed."

How did you get that? I can't find a statement like that anywhere. Not
with release notes, installations instructions, not even here:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/pubsw-
linux/p1174222445/v47112/hpadu-8.10-3.noarch.txt

Anyway, the point about this is that the DL140 by itself does not have
"real" RAID controllers, they seem to be fake RAID ones. That's why the
software is not supposed to work on them. However, it can also be shipped
with a "real" RAID PCI card. That is what I have, they call it "HP 4/8
Port HBA Controller" or something. I don't know why but they refuse to
give it a "real" name. However, support told me that the "HP Array"
utilities are not supposed to work on that either, they are only supposed
to work on internal controllers (and the readme doesn't list this
controller, either).
So, which way you look at it, there's a black hole ;-)
I'm gonna live without smart for that machine.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany