[CentOS] Re: Duplicate PV on HW RAID?

Eduardo Grosclaude eduardo.grosclaude at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 14:21:41 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:

> The machine BIOS correctly describes the RAID volume at start. Doesn't It
>> smell like fake RAID?
>> Should I declare sdb invalid to the firmware program so as to force
>> resync?
>> Thanks again
>> --
> It sure looks as if it was originally a mirrored set, but broke later,
> maybe a kernel update no longer supports that fakeraid controller.

Indeed. A reboot later, everything was a mess. I rebuilt the RAID and
repeated the install.

Found that Disk Druid correctly sees the only device (referred to as
/mapper/isw_[10 seemingly hex digits]_Volume0, everything goes completely as

However, at the next boot the installed kernel no longer believes there's a
single device there, and goes like this:

  No RAID sets and with names 'isw_[same digits]_Volume0'
  failed to stat() /dev/mapper/isw_[same digits]_Volume0
  ...EXT3-fs errors...
  ...mounts failed....
  Kernel panic

My fault was not installing the proper Intel RAID driver for RHEL... the
regular kernel does not provide it.
Thanks very much for your help

Eduardo Grosclaude
Universidad Nacional del Comahue