[CentOS] Re: Hardware serial number access from (a) command(s)

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Jul 29 17:54:11 UTC 2008

on 7-29-2008 10:48 AM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva-m4n3GYAQT2lWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> <snip>
>>> Mark: Scott has the right plan for you. Buy a new drive and install
>>> it, when you take out the defective one.
>>> Send the defective drive in on an RMA and they will probably replace
>>> it with a remanufactured drive and you keep
>>> that one available as a spare or install it in another box.. If your
>>> box is like 3 of ours, it is a PITA to R&R a 5.25" drive. We have 2
>>> Dell Dimensions that are very easy to open (that's the idea, if it
>>> works). Dell Latin America replaced one of them, after I got it,
>>> because I could not open it. It took two (2) of their Tech Support
>>> people, to get the thing open, so I asked for a new one. Plastic
>>> cases...... Lanny
>> You must have forgotten to wave the chicken over your head 3 times and said
>> the magic words. You don't want to wave the chicken more than 3 times, as he
>> will be angry enough after the 3. ;-P
>
> I had to open that box (now my daughters) awhile back, to remove the
> defective Teac
> CD-RW drive and I remembered what happened to the original box and
> kept my fingers
> crossed, that I could get it open and close it again. When it happened
> to the new box, a Dimension 4300,
> which was under warranty, two (2) men came to our house and they had a
> struggle, to get the case open. Flimsy
> plastic. It opens like a suitcase and is incredibly easy to work on,
> if you can get it open.
> If Dell would sell a box like that, with a metal case, it would be a winner.
I have worked on them. I think a button on the top and another on the bottom
that you have to push "at the same time and just right" for it to open. Then
with your third arm you have to pull the side open. It was not fun. But it was
a side job and paid cash.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and